rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thoughts from the book of Job

So this year I decided to read through the Chronological bible reading plan. Something I have never done before is always good! Today's reading plunged me in to the book of Job. I know the story well, but in reading it afresh, something popped up that I had not seen before. It said that Job's kids got together and had a lot of parties and when they were done with each round of partying, Job would consecrate them before the Lord - "And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus Job did continually."

Interesting to me that Job would bring offerings before the lord for the actions of his children. I guess in the old testament, offering sacrifices on behalf of others was acceptable - even common practice.

Anyone want to comment on that? Anyone who knows more about it than I do?

Maybe it is no different that Jesus being offered up on our behalf. Thank God for His sacrifice for my sin.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Jan...I ran across your blog through youversion. I am also doing the chronological reading plan as 2010 begins. It was very weird to be reading in Genesis and flip into Job. Job is a book I really struggle with. (I read it back in the summer.) I was surfing for different perspectives on Job outside of what I think on youversion's community links! I'm glad I happened upon your blog! I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and hope you don't mind that I follow along as we both read through the bible this year!! Thanks for posting!

Holly (me.) said...

Looking for some answers to your question, I ran across another question asking, "Do you carry out your spiritual duties because they are expected, or spontaneously from a heart of devotion?" The answers were not very exciting. I liked the question better.

Colleen said...

Hi Jan:
It is neat to share insights and fellowship this way. The way others describe you is how I too am often decribed so that's pretty cool. I love this verse in Job 1.
"I came naked from my mother's womb,
and I will be naked when I leave.
The Lord gave me what I had,
and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord !"

It made me think as a parent of 2 grown children (22 & 20) Back then offerings were how people worshipped and served the Lord. Sometimes we think that if we serve faithfully that will protect our children. How did that work for Job? This is a good example that illustrates God has no grandchildren. I think people have a tendency to think, hey I have connections so I'll be alright. Someone will bail me out...This first chapter is amazing and nowhere in the text do I see Job as described as a perfect man. He was a man of integrity but the testing also served as a lesson to him as well as to everyone of us today.

Post a Comment