rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Name Change & Tattoos

I have been talking about getting a tattoo for years. My kids think I never will. I am still undecided, I guess just not sure I want to make that "rest of your life" kind of commitment to art. I don't really know what that says about me, maybe that I am non-committal or a number of other words people could attach to me because of my actions. I am not sure really like that idea very much. Being labeled because of my actions - hummm... But in reality, that happens to all of us every day. People look at us and our actions, sometimes without having all the information and they assign us a word. Most of the time we will never know what those words are and that is probably good, because I imagine I wouldn't be proud to be labeled with some of them!

This morning I was reading one of the blogs I have on my favorites list and came across an amazing story of a writer who is writing a book but not on paper. She is finding volunteers who are "accepted" into her project and get assigned a word (they have no control over what word they get) and then have it tattooed on their bodies, photographed and logged into the "living book." They are from that point on, not known by their name but by the word they were assigned. If you would like to read the blog and see the short film - click here. But promise to come back.

Now, I am not sure I am brave enough to let someone choose a word, seemingly at random, and tattoo it on my body only to be known by that forever. I think if I am going to be known by something, I would rather have a say in it. I guess maybe that is why I am having such a hard time committing to a tattoo. I am afraid I will pick the wrong thing and at some point in the future - it will cease to define me, and yet will linger as a reminder of what I thought I am.

In Isaiah 62, it talks about receiving a new name that is given directly by the Lord. Take a look:

2The nations shall see your righteousness, and all the kings your glory, and you shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will give.3 You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.4 You shall no more be termed Forsaken, and your land shall no more be termed Desolate, but you shall be called My Delight Is in Her, and your land Married; for the Lord delights in you, and your land shall be married.5 For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your sons marry you, and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.

Oh, that I could have a preview to the name that God has for me. I know he has one. I just pray that it is one I can be proud to carry for eternity because He finds my faithful to Him and the call He has on my life. I would proudly wear that one tattooed on my body! (in a small discreet way of course)

So what about you? What names do people label you with by viewing your actions? What name do you label yourself with? What name will He give to you and will be be able to wear it proudly?

And on a side note - tattoo or no tattoo? :o)

4 comments:

czstout said...

I'm gonna have to think about the name part, but as far as the tattoo part, I say go for it!! Maybe if you pick something that you want to be known as...humble, servant, faithful, etc...it will make you more concious of that and in turn push you to be more like that???? My tattoos are silly...chicken feet on my ankle because my best buddies and I decided we loved the dixie chicks at age 18...grrrr....The other is a heart with the initials SIC over it on the small of my back. It stands for Sister's In Christ. I was a bit older for this one, and don't cringe when I explain it to people. Any who....I say surprise the kids and go get inked...need me to hold your hand???

Anonymous said...

When it comes to tattoos, I have gone back and forth so many times I've lost count. To get one or not to get one??? I found that when Tamra and I separated, I wanted one more than ever because it was a way for me to break out and do something crazy. Something that would not define me as the boring husband who worked all the time. How interesting that you are concerned about your tattoo defining who you are and I wanted to do it to define who I wasn't.
Ultimately, I learned that, for myself, I didn't need a tattoo to define or undefine anything. It was in my actions that made me who I was and that if I wanted to be somethig different, I only needed to change the action. Do I still wonder about the tattoo??? Sure. But I don't need it anymore.
I have to say that getting a tattoo is all about whether or not you like the look and less about what it means. At least, that is how I feel about it. If you do it with that in mind, then you will never have to worry about whether or not you have changed - while your art work stayed the same.

Unknown said...

I tend to be on the 'do not get a tattoo' side of the fence.

You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am the LORD. Lev 19:28 HSCB

mrs bradley said...

I think tattoos have changed so much over time. Only a couple decades ago, they announced to the world that you were a rule breaker, a troublemaker, against establishment. Now, I think too many people get them. That said, I love them. I love the art of them. There are some that just look like a stamp, but some are so incredible. I watch tattoo shows, buy the magazines, and have been planning some (more than one) for years but pregnancies, etc. detour me. I have one with Brad's name on my back hip where only he sees it. But as an artist, I see it as another canvas, an opportunity to express myself, like dying my hair red. My younger self worried too much about what others would think. As I'm turning 40 in April, I'll be using it to do for myself what I feel compelled to do...express MY creativity. My fear is getting something everyone else has. I want it to be unique, artistic, meaningful, and cherished forever to enhance my appearance, not to wear me. I think it will show you are artistic and committed to Christ if you are getting your 'name' . If you aren't sure, DON'T do it! it's forever.

Post a Comment