rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Job, Prayer and Avatar

Yes, in my mind these things have a connection. Let me try to connect the dots for you. Read on...

Today in my bible reading I read in Job 11:7-9 these words said by Job's friend Zophar: "Can you find out the deep things of God? Can you find out the limit of the Almighty? It is higher than heaven--what can you do? Deeper than Sheol--what can you know? Its measure is longer than the earth and broader than the sea."

I continually resonate with this way of thinking. Who am I to think I can even scratch the surface of understanding God? (Zophar goes on to say that "even a wise man will only understand God when a donkey colt is born as a man." He's one funny guy!) But back to the point, I can't hope to understand the ways and thoughts of God without His revelation of that to me. And I can't hope to gain any kind of revelation without a relationship with Him. I can't build relationship with Him if I don't communicate with Him and that can't be done without prayer.

Now here is where Avatar comes in. Late in the movie the main character, Jake Sully, goes to the god of the people he is among and endeavors to communicate with this god he does not know. (Prayer) He even starts out his conversation by saying "I'm probably just talking to a tree right now, but I have to try, so here goes." He then, with no particular form or fancy words, makes his petition to their god. (SPOILER ALERT) At the end of the movie it becomes very evident that Jake's prayers were answered and his understanding of his new god grows and the battle is won.

How like Jake Sully are we at times. Struggling to communicate with something we can not possibly understand because it is beyond us in our humanness. And yet, we push forward and press in because we know that it is what is needed to gain understanding and build relationship.

So today, I renew my resolve to push forward and press in to the one true God. The one who really hears and answers prayers. The one who goes before me and wins battles. I desire my understanding of who He is to increase everyday, so I read His word and I talk to him "without ceasing" with no particular grace of formality and yet with enough understanding of Him to have a proper fear and reverence.

Lord, make yourself known to me in new and mighty ways today so that I am able to make You known to those around me. Increase my understanding of who You are. Cause me to yearn to be in communication with You all the time. Open my eyes to see the tiniest ways You are at work today and every day and help me to be able to join you in that work. Let me not get so busy with my "to-do" list that I miss the seemingly small yet amazing ways you reveal yourself to us.

So, have you read about Him today? Have you talked with Him today? Take some time and do it now. It really will make the rest of your day work a lot better!!! And feel free to join me for the next 21 days, praying for His mission. Get more info here: http://www.mckinneyfellowship.org/make-a-difference/prayer/21-days-of-prayer/

2 comments:

Kimberly Law said...

So well written Jan. I loved that! Thanks for the thoughts this morning.

lakearrowheadblogger said...

Enjoying the posts, Jan ~.~

Post a Comment