rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Friday, January 8, 2010

The Power of Social Media



Yesterday a friend to me I have been a "blogging fool" lately. I guess he was correct. It seems that God is re-igniting within me the desire to speak the things he is laying on my heart. I have wondered (and been asked by many) for the last 4 years or so why I have not written any songs. My answer has been that it seemed to me God had put that part of me to sleep for a while. I am not sure why, but I think it has been awakened but not to write songs - I have tried, they are not very good! I think God has awakened it to write this blog and share what He is saying to me using the social media outlets available.

Last night I missed a very powerful experience via the Internet and my heart breaks that I could not be there (funny to even say "be" there since it was taking place virtually.) My friend and mentor, Carlos Whittaker (http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com) held an on line prayer service. I have taken part in one of them before and it is amazing. We spent 3 hours praying for requests that had been sent in via twitter, facebook and tokbox (so we could see Carlos.) I could have prayed another 3 hours I think.

Well last night, he and some others organized a prayer vigil for a little girl named Kate McRae who is suffering from brain cancer. I have been following this blog for the last 6 months and it has deeply affected me. (www.prayforkate.com) Yesterday, Kate and her family received news that her tumor was not gone after months of treatment. I can not imagine the devastation they must feel. But the CHURCH united from across the world to pray for this little girl and her family in a way that will not soon be forgotten. People were asked to stretch out their hands to their computers to cover this hurting family and lift them up to Jesus - the Great Physician. The picture above is a capture of multiple screen shots.

This morning I in my reading plan, I continued through the book of Job. How this family must be able to identify with this book. The difference is that instead of being shunned by people and chastised by friends for the sin that MUST be present for such a thing to happen (like Job), this family is being lifted up by literally millions of people that they do not know. I am sure that what took place last night warmed the heart of God.

So, this morning, in going through my 21 Days of Prayer guide on You Version (youversion.com), I came across this verse that I will commit to memory:
2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.

This verse renewed my passion to write about the knowledge of Him. My Jesus. My Savior. The one who heals lives. I want to spread the fragrance of knowing him to everyone who will listen. May it smell sweet and draw others to Him.

I might just hold a online prayer vigil myself. Want to join me? Leave me a comment so I will know who to contact about it!

2 comments:

the essence of orange said...

thanks for this reminder about the power of prayer in others' lives.. oh how i wish job's friends had done the same, but i guess it was all for the best given that it has been captured in a book for us to read about and learn from.

i would be so in on a prayer vigil.. keep me posted! :)

and i'm glad to see your heart re-ignited to share your words. i'm eating them up.

Kevin said...

That is so cool. Prayer virtually and in reality - is that like in spirit and in truth?

Post a Comment