rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sometimes there are just no words...

Tonight I am using this blog to process. I just finished watching a movie that I can't quite wrap my had around, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." If you have not seen it, I will try not to fill this with "spoilers", but I can't promise totally.

In short, the movie is about a family whose father is a Commandant in Hitler's army and is put in charge of one of the concentration camps during the war. The son (Bruno) is a self proclaimed adventurer and when exploring stumbles across the barbed wired, electric fence that keeps the people in the camp. He makes friends with a boy his age and visits him on multiple occasions. The movie depicts the harsh reality of a part of war we all wish to forget about and the sweet innocence of childhood to quickly lost.

I began to think about all the horrible things that went on during that war and how many people just turned their heads to it all or worse yet, thought they were doing the "right thing." It seems almost incomprehensible to think about the atrocities that were committed against the Jewish race during that time. And yet, to God, what happened then is really no worse than any sin I commit on a daily basis. Watching that movie gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and it made me think about how sick my sin must make God.

Viewing my sin through that lens makes me so thankful for God's grace. I can only say that this was a fresh reminder of who I am without Christ and who I am becoming in Him. Thank you Lord!

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. Romans 3:23-24

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan, when our family saw this movie we were all deeply moved also. What really struck me was how the loss of one life could be so devastating when so many others were ignored.
Victoria

Post a Comment