rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Friday, December 4, 2009

Just a Normal Teenage Girl

This Sunday at church we are going to hear the story of Mary, the mother of Jesus. As I sat at rehearsal last night, hearing the drama that will be presented - it struck me a fresh what an amazing story this is.

Just a normal girl, probably about 14 years old give or take a couple years, going about her normal everyday business and then her life changes - BAM! Hey Mary, guess what? You have been chosen to give birth to God! OMW!! I can not really even wrap my head around that. I am trying so hard to get my head around what she must have been feeling. Disbelief, confusion, fear, honor, worship... probably to many emotions to count all at once. Then after the angel leaves, she is left to process them all one by one. How did she tell her family? Her fiance? What would they think? Had she lost her mind? What a conversation those must have been!

At some point, I am sure it settled in that this was real and was happening to her. Resolution took over and the 9 months past. She gave birth in what I guess today would be the equivalent of a barn. Man! I wonder if she ever asked God why He couldn't have given her a better place to give birth to His son? A humble birth place for a humble girl and a God who struggles every day to find a place to stay in our lives.

Then, if all that is not enough, I come at it from the perspective of a mother. How the heck do you "mother" God? I mean really? He created her and she gave birth to him? Nursed him? Dried his tears? Saw him smile his first smile? Take his first step? Skin his knee? Grow up? Knowing all the time that He was no ordinary child. He was the Savior of the world!

I am in awe!

So, I ask myself once again what has God asked me to do for Him. Certainly not anything of quite this magnitude in my eyes, but what about in God's eyes? Has He asked me to do something that will have lasting effects on this world that I may not ever see, but that if I don't obey will have detrimental effects on something or someone somewhere?
- Giving my money that enables His ministry to move forward?
- Going on a mission trip to tell someone about him that may have never heard?
- Being a light that shines right here where I am at to someone that is in darkness?
- Singing my heart out for all to hear my passion for him and praying it is contagious?

Lord show me today what you have called me to and give me the strength to obey. Fully! I am your servant. Give me your eyes to see the world. Use me up for you glory!

1 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

When I say, "I learn from my kids,"? I'm talking pre-K level studies compared to the Master of Divinity lessons imparted to Mary. Great post!

Post a Comment