rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas - A Season of Giving!

Whose idea was that anyway? To give at Christmas... Well, someone would not have to look very far to find that answer, unfortunately I think most people stop looking and settle at the surface level answers of "because we always have" or "that's just what we do at Christmas." For most in America, Christmas giving has become synonymous with over-spending to over-indulge our selfishness (myself and family included), thought not really being willing to "call the spade the spade."

This year, I seem to have had a bit of a attitude change in this area. With my new found resolution to be in the TRUE Christmas story on a regular basis, I was reminded once again that the original Christmas giving was anything but what we have made it today. Let's work backwards in the story -

The wise men, gave their time and money to obey God and follow that star to the Christ child. They gave their status with King Herod when they chose not to return to him and tell him where Jesus was. One could also surmise that there were some people who thought they were a bit nuts to make a long trip following nothing but a star to find a King. For a "wise man" that was probably giving a little of their pride to follow through with this excursion.

The shepherds, some of my favorite characters because of their zeal in finding the baby, gave their time as well as possibly taking a chance on giving up their income by leaving their sheep to go see this new born baby-king. What would their employer have thought if they found out they left their post? And once again, I think we see the thread of giving up pride emerge, as they ran excitedly and told everyone they met about the baby Jesus. If I were someone on the street hearing their story of Angelic beings serenading and a baby in a manger bed being the messiah - I just might question their sanity.

Jospeh and Mary, where to start with how much they both gave for this first Christmas to happen!?! Thinking about the task that they gladly undertook, not only to fall in line with God's very different plans for their courtship and marriage, but to take on being the parents of God incarnate - now that just about blows my mind! Basicially they gave everything they had to God when they said "yes."

But all of this human giving pales in comparison to what Jesus gave when He left heaven and glory to enter this world of desolate humanity to give all of Himself for us. Talk about something that is mind blowing! When I dwell on how much He gave for little ole selfish, imperfect, can't get it right most of the time, me - I am overwhelmed. I realize afresh how much I not only owe Him, but how much I desire to give everything I have freely to Him. My time, my money, my pride, my life!

As I ask Him to show me today which areas in my life I am not giving to Him fully, I challenge you to do the same. Just as it was not an easy task for the Christmas story characters to give of themselves, it will not be easy to give what He reveals when I ask this question and take time to really hear the answer, but I am willing! Are you? Just think how different the world be if we all gave every part of ourselves FULLY to Him. I pray that you give well and fully this Christmas season. I bet you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

lakearrowheadblogger said...

Loving your posts, Miss Jan. They're always timely for me ~.~.
Louisa

Holly (me.) said...

Kudos for posting during Festival Week!

Post a Comment