rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Friday, July 24, 2009

Rethinking ___________

What does it mean to re-think something? To take a thorough inventory of something, a good, hard, take off the rose colored glasses look, and think through what changes need to be made. At least that's the Jan's unabridged dictionary version. So why would one come to a place that they needed to rethink something? Maybe they, themselves have noticed it is not working or maybe someone else brought it to their attention. Maybe they have experienced a failure and are analyzing why it happened. Maybe they just look at some areas and know they could be better.

In the fall, we are starting a new sermon series called Re-thinking the Truth. We will take 10 truths of the Gospel found in Romans 1-5 and get people to take a good, hard, look at what they may have come to think they know very well. My bet is that most people will find that they don't "know" these truths as well as they think they did. They may not be living them, may not have them ingrained down deep in their soul, so that the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ has so permeated their being, that it can be seen in and through everything that they do, say or think. They may be surprised!

Actually, I hope I am surprised too! I hope that even through this service designing process, I am challenged to rethink any area where I have gotten lax, or stale. I hope that my view of what Christ did for me and the truth of that sinks in so deep that it oozes out of every pore. I hope that I wreak of the truth of God in my life! All day, every day in every area.

Even using the word "rethink" is causing me to want to examine some areas in my world. Which ones are where they need to be, which ones need some tweaking, which ones need a giant overhaul. So, off I go on my new challenge, listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and praying that I would be open to rethinking any and all areas of my life - and then strong enough to change.

What about you? What areas, things, ways of thinking do you need to re-think today? May God give you the ears to hear His voice, the eyes to see what He pointing out, and the heart to be obedient to the change. Let His truth go deep in you today and every day!

Oh - and to all you creative peeps out there, if you have any ideas that might fit into the series (dramas, songs, videos, metaphors, etc.) don't be afraid to send them my way!

2 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

Are you rethinking the frequency of your posts?

mrs bradley said...

GOOD ONE, Holly, although I can't say much as my posts have dwindled recently. Jan, I think this post would be great to share with our artists to call for artwork for the series! Or for the cafe!? I'll see if Amber is coordinating this already or if she'd like me to. If so, can we use your post?

Post a Comment