rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Swimming Up Stream?

I was having coffee with a friend today and we were talking about growth in the Lord. We talked about how hard it can be to not conform to what many people's view of the Christian life is (going to church on Sunday and being like the world the rest of the week) and also how hard it can be to stay outside the "Christian bubble" we have made for ourselves and really effect change in the rest of the world around us who need Jesus. 

Growing up in the church - I'm a PK (preachers kid), my tendency is always to immerse myself in all things Christian. Christian music, christian literature, christian movies, christian friends... It is easy that way, comfortable. And yet, I don't believe Jesus ever meant for the word "Christian" to become a adjective instead of a noun, and I certainly don't believe He ever said it would be easy to be one. Staying in side my little comfort bubble won't do much to bring other people to Him. As of late, I have been feeling an increasing burden to reach those who shy away from those so safely tucked in their Christian comfort zone. if my world is only the "bubble", how can I relate to those who want no part of it? 

At some point in the conversation, I thought of the analogy of a Salmon swimming upstream. A salmon swims upstream for one reason and one reason only - to reproduce. I would imagine that they have to be very strong to make this journey. It is hard work and in the end - they give their very lives for the new lives that come from their struggle. 

I feel like I am at a place in my Christianity that God is asking me if I am willing to put in the hard work for the new life that will come out of it. Am I willing to go against the flow? Am I willing to do what it takes to grow to a point that I am strong enough to endure the struggle that will come from the journey? I believe I am! I trust He will guide me along the way. It will not be easy, but in the end I pray that God uses my journey to produce lots of new lives that will go through the same process of reproducing themselves for His kingdom.

1 comments:

czstout said...

Nice new look! Did you do this on your own or did a friend hook a sista up?? See you in the morning!!

Post a Comment