rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Remembering

It's odd what triggers you to miss someone. A picture, a smell, a favorite food, a holiday, a special occasion.

Pipe tobacco reminds me of my Grandpa
Handkerchiefs remind me of my Grandma
Butter rum lifesavers remind me of my Papaw
Pretty much any breakfast food reminds me of my Memaw (except cereal - she put way to much thought in to breakfast . No cereal to be found)
Great accents remind me of my Aunt Margit

But today - Carousels remind me of my sister. She has been with Jesus for over 3 years now. Her life was full or turmoil and her relationships much the same, but today I remember that collecting carousels made her smile. I had forgotten that.

So today I savor the good memories and might even go look through some old family pictures. Seems like that kind of day to me.  That, and go make some more memories with the ones I love. I hope you'll do the same, because life is short and soon all we have left is the remembering.

2 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

Glad you remembered.

Victoria said...

This has been a hard week. I have been remembering my friend, Lori, who died in Peru this past June. (She's the blonde in my FB pic.) I have been in denial that she was really dead until this week. It was getting together with dear friends I hadn't seen in almost 10 years that did it. I was so thankful they are still around and still my friends.
Whenever I see a horse I smile remembering Lori told me one of her father's horses would try to munch on her hair when she was a kid.
My nephew was killed 8 years ago this Christmas. Still miss him terribly. I am always stunned by what stirs up my grief for him.
Yes, I love getting pictures my lost loved ones and savoring the good memories.

Post a Comment