rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Will They Know I am a Christian by My Love?


I have seen this picture a couple of times over the last few days, but today is stirred renewed emotion in me when I thought about the men holding hands protecting those that they don't know and don't agree with - literally risking life and limb.


If the caption is true, and these men are Christians, they are showing the truest form of John 13:34-35 when Jesus says: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."


I have to wonder if, in the same circumstance, I would do the same. And more importantly, am I living that out in my own suburban world every day? What does that even look like in my world?


I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Sound off...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In Galatians 5:6, Paul says, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." He goes on to say in 13-15, "You my brothers and sisters were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other."

This picture is a wonderful example of living by the Spirit instead of the flesh.

In my day to day life, I only occasionally get into discussions with people who have a strong opposing meme to mine when it comes to things like religious beliefs or politics. Maybe I need to look at that. Could it be because I've surrounded myself with people who believe the same? Could it be that I avoid discussions or relationships with people who have conflicting opinions? Is that loving? Hmmm....

Ok, so what about my day to day life. How does this apply? I seem to daily encounter opposing viewpoints to smaller matters such as whose going to do the dishes, what to spend money on, or limits I set with the boys. I must remember to not snap or "bite" at the people I love when I am feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and most importantly when I've set rules and limitations and those boundaries are tested. Anyone with children knows that our parental boundaries WILL BE tested. ;)

When my husband and I disagree about something or my children have asked "but why" again, I must remember to "serve (them) humbly in love". I truly want to stop reacting and submit my flesh to the Holy Spirit and allow love, peace, joy, gentleness, kindness, faith, goodness and self-control to lead any discussions. This only happens when I am spending time with God as He grows the fruit He's planted in me.

Anonymous said...

What does this look like in our world? Perhaps its inviting the the gay couple down the street over for dinner. Shielding the atheist camp from protestors. Giving women rides home from the abortion clinic. The question you posed is really the important one - how am I acting in love even when, and especially if, the action contradicts what I believe. How do I reserve judgment? Paul said it best: "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside." 1 Corinthians 5:12–13 TNIV. We are specifically called to love, as Jesus loved us - unconditionally and sacrificially, and to leave the judging to him.

I am so encouraged by this picture. This type of love changes everything.

Post a Comment