rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Taming of the Tongue

Today in my bible reading I found myself in James 1. The gist of the chapter is about reading the word and doing what it says instead of hearing it and forgetting about what your read once you close the book (or web browser).


James 1 is where you will find the well known verse that talks about being 'quick to listen, slow to speak.' I admit that one is sometimes difficult for me. But it was James 1:26 that really stuck with me today. It says this:


Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.


OUCH! A harsh but true reminder that with one slip of my tongue, I can do irreparable damage to the reputation of myself, Christianity and my Lord. My religion is worthless when my tongue takes control. 


So today, with renewed vigor, I will try once again to remember to be quick to listen and slow to speak. I will try to remember to speak harsh truths in love and not hate (Ephesians 4:15) and will renew my pledge to follow the words of Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth, but such as is good for edifying as the need may be, that it may give grace to them that hear.


Will you join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment