rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I, the Doorkeeper

I am just about to finish up a 21 day  journey with the Lord. It has been challenging at times, but mostly I have really enjoyed it. The reading plan that is taking me through this journey is incredibly well done. I am seeing things in scripture that I have not seen before or am seeing them in a new light. I find myself anting to know more about what these passages mean and why they were written. With only 3 days left, today was no exception.


Here is what I read today:


Psalm 84



1 How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts!2 My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.


3  Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God.4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise! Selah


5  Blessed are those whose strength is in you, in whose heart are the highways to Zion.6 As they go through the Valley of Baca they make it a place of springs; the early rain also covers it with pools.7 They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion.


8  O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah9 Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed!


10  For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.12 O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!


This Psalm is so rich and full of great nuggets, but the one God spoke right in to my heart is in vs. 10. For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.


I had heard this verse many times and I always thought the doorkeeper reference was to someone who held a "lesser than "post" of some kind. Something that they were forced to do and maybe were looked down upon. Boy was I wrong. The doorkeeper was actually (in my opinion) one of the best positions in the whole temple. They were tasked with ushering people in to the temple to meet with God. They also sang and ministered to the Lord with music day and night. The only bad part of the job is that they were on a rotation and only got to do it 2 weeks out of the year (thus the reference to "a day in your courts is better than a thousand years elsewhere". He never wants his turn to end.)


As I was reading this passage, I realized that worship leaders really are the equivalent to the doorkeepers in the Old Testament. We usher people in to experience the presence of God (when we do our job right) and we have the privilege of ministering to the Lord in song.


The writer of this Psalm is reminding the readers how much more desirable it is to be in the presence of the Almighty God than to take part in the things of this world that so often seem to give pleasure but that are only fleeting and often times sinful.


So today, as I continue on my journey with God, I embrace the call to be a doorkeeper for His people. I believe that whether you call yourself a "worship leader" or not, you can still join me as a door keeper. You can daily, in your own world, let people experience the Almighty by your actions and you can minister to the Lord in praise and worship whether it is sung from the mountain tops or quietly in your heart. He just longs to be with you.


Be a doorkeeper today. It really is the best job around!

1 comments:

Oz said...

Jan, what a great message. I thought of the doorkeeper as someone with a low position also. Now I can see that the doorkeeper is really a great position and one for all of us to strive to fill.
Thanks for the insight.

Post a Comment