rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Monday, March 29, 2010

Make a Statement

So over the weekend, my daughter Jenna (an aspiring makeup artist and photographer) decided to turn my almost 12 year old, Kira, into a couture super model. She made her up in amazing face made up and, looking much older than she is, she was off to the photo shoot. After coming home and "working her magic" on some of the photos - I found this one. The caption is very fitting - don't you think? (and no - her hair was not that color, it is computer magic)

Today in my Chronological reading of the bible, I finished the book of Joshua. YAY! One of the verses in chapter 22 stuck out to me and seemed to be very fitting it says, And when they came to the region of the Jordan that is in the land of Canaan, the people of Reuben and the people of Gad and the half-tribe of Manasseh built there an altar by the Jordan, an altar of imposing size. Joshua 22:10. I know, you're thinking what in the world does that have to do with your baby getting made up like an emo child and getting her picture taken... The verse says " made an alter of imposing size." Based on the other things I have read about the journey of the children of Israel, this must have been some alter - cause they didn't do anything small.

In a nut shell the story goes like this: The children of Israel (12 tribes) were told God would give them the land of Canaan. 2 1/2 tribes decided they liked the land on the desert side of the Jordan river and asked for permission to have that land. God said "Yes, on one condition, all your men have to go to the other side and help fight for Canaan. Then you can return to your side." So that happened. they fought many battles and won and were finally allowed to return to their inheritance. So on their way home, on the Canaan side of the Jordan, they decided to build this "alter of imposing size". The other 9 1/2 tribes got freaked out when they saw it and thought the 2 1/2 tribes were turning to idols worship so they called them out. In actuality, the 2 1/2 tribes had built the alter to serve as a reminder to all their descendants and the descendants of the 9 1/2 tribes that they worship the same God and they should never forget that.

Not back to the picture of Kira. The caption says, "Don't be afraid to stand out." In this case, they went for broke. Funky makeup, flaming red hair, the whole thing! I am sure people took and will take notice when they see this picture. (I am already fielding comments of how I could let my 12 year old look like that, and would it bother me if she decided to dress like that every day.) The point I am trying to make here is that if we are going to take a stand for the Lord, GO BIG! Don't be afraid to look different than those around you. Make enough of a statement bout who you are in Christ that when they see you, they see and alter to the Lord of "imposing size", one that can not be shaken or toppled easily.

I hope that's what people see in my life when they look at me and I hope that for my children as well, makeup and fiery red hair and all! (and in case you're wondering - I LOVE the picture!)

1 comments:

Tamra said...

Sorry, my computer just reposted an old post...that is so random.

What I meant to post is this: The timing is so perfect because I've been talking to Floyd about setting yourself apart as a Christian. How do people know, without really knowing you, that you're a Christian. I've got a few ideas but I'm still working on it. I pray that those who cross my path see a difference!

Post a Comment