rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Re-Discovering My Merry Christmas

Christmas used to be one of my favorite holidays. I loved the traditions we had as a family like decorating the house the day after Thanksgiving, buying a new ornament each year for each family member to commemorate the year, celebrating the birth of my Lord! Somehow, over the last few years, the joy of this season has been lost and I find myself wanting to "put away" Christmas the day after it is over. What happened to the joy the season used to bring? Well, I think it got swallowed up by the monster that is my work during the season. I began to be so busy with planning Christmas for everyone else at church that I forgot why I loved to celebrate it in the first place. I lost focus on the real reason for the season in my life. I realized recently that it started to take a toll on my family and I have stolen some of that joy of the season from them as well. What a sad thing to admit!!

So, this year I have decided to turn the corner and reclaim the passion for Christmas I once had. I am joining one of my favorite groups of people, at Ragamuffin Soul, in a 30 Day Holiday Health Challenge. This challenge will focus on 3 areas of my life: Physical, Spiritual and Relational. I have selected my goals and hopefully will get some accountability from both them and you by blogging 2x per week about my progress ( or lack there of). So, below are my goals for your viewing pleasure...

Physical - to walk at least 2x per week and drop my last 5 lbs.
Spiritual - Find 3 more life verses to memorize and be in the word EVERY day no matter how "busy" I am.
Relational - to be "off work" when I am off work. I make time to enjoy the holidays w/ my family and date my husband at least 2x. Company party not-included.

If you would like to read more about this challenge and possibly join me, check it out at http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/2009/11/ragamuffin-soul-30-day-holiday-health-challenge . Please let me know by commenting if you plan on getting in on the fun! That way I can pray for you as well.

I think the line in Carlos' blog that really got me is this: "You let your serving God replace your knowing God." I must admit that in the busyness of the season at church, I have indeed done that. So this year, I am determined to really KNOWING God this season and not just being busy for Him. He desires my heart a lot more than He desires the checks on my To Do list.

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS season everybody! May the joy of the the birth of our Lord permeate all you are and do this season!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Jan! I'm headed to go check that out. I'm thinking I need to do this too!

I look forward to reading your updates. =0)

Holly (me.) said...

Oh my, yes. We could be much more merry around here, too.

Tamra said...

Wow Jan, that is quite the quote. I never really thought of it in those terms but it definitely is a good point. Some people seem to have that problem all year long. Some of us just don't want to say no.

I'll have to think about what 3 goals to set. This a great challenge for all of us!

Post a Comment