rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Monday, November 30, 2009

John the Baptist - Again!

John the Baptist has always fascinated me. From before he was born, he was set apart for a purpose. His father was told as told by Luke - "15he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.16 And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God,17 and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared."

He will make ready for the Lord, a people prepared. That is the phrase that suck in my mind this morning. That was no small task! John lived out in the desert, ate a very strange diet of locust and honey and drew large crowds when he spoke about the coming of the Messiah. I mean, seriously, this guy recognized Jesus in the womb for Pete's sake!!

So, I find myself asking 2 things:
1 - Am I "a people prepared" for the coming of my Lord?
Man! I sure hope so. I don't think any of us can be totally prepared for that glorious event. But I am sure trying. I want to be found as one prepared for His coming on the day of His return. I can hear and feel the Lord beckoning me in different areas of my life to get ready for Him. So, I strive to do just that!

2 - If John was set apart for such important work, and God lives ALL of His children, doesn't it stand to reason that He would set us apart for His important work as well?
I believe He does just that. I hope and pray that every day I am doing the work He has set me apart to do. The work I am uniquely equipped for. The work He will have to divert someone else off their task to complete - should I fail. In order to know what that work is, I need to be like John in one very important way. I need to mirror the heart shown in John 3:30 when he said "He (Jesus) must increase and I must decrease." More of you God and less of me!

So today, I ask once again, "What have you set me apart to do today for your kingdom God?" I hope and pray that you ask the same of Him today. Just think what would be accomplished for the kingdom if we all asked that question daily. Imagine what it would look like if we all were "a people prepared" for His coming. Oh, what a world it would be!

1 comments:

czstout said...

Jan, you should write more often :) Great insight this morning! Have a great week!

Post a Comment