rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Widow's Mite and $20

I haven't written a blog post in almost a year. It's high time I get back to it. So here goes...
 

Today I think I know how Jesus must have felt when he was in the temple and had the privilege of witnessing the widow giving her mite. To most seeing it, it was of no consequence. Such a small amount, what difference could that possibly make?

Jesus saw past the amount given and focused on the heart that gave it. This woman who didn't have much, gave out of her lack with a joyful spirit, desiring nothing in return.  


           Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box. He also
          saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.
He said, “I tell you the truth, this
          poor widow has put in more than all of them.
For they all offered their gifts out of
          their wealth. But she, out of her poverty, put in everything she had to live on.”
          Luke 21:1-4


Pure.

Generous.

Love.

I think Jesus must have had another one of those moments today as He looked down from heaven and saw the events unfold that have touched me so deeply.

My daughter, Kira and I have the privilege of going to Peru for the second year in a row on a mission trip with our church. Since Kira was in 6th grade she has been going on mission trips, sometimes more than one per year. She has my work ethic for sure. She has never once sent out support letters, but instead had a deep seeded conviction that she needs to work for her trip money. So, we bake cupcakes.

Over the last 6 years, I have lost count how many cupcakes we have made. LOTS. But we enjoyed the time together baking (and tasting). We always trust that God will take care of the money piece and just ask for trip donations instead of charging a specific amount. And every year, she has been fully funded. God is faithful to provide! This year is no different. We have baked and the Lord is providing. 


Kira decided to change things up a bit and add a t-shirt fundraiser this year as well. They are super cute (sorry - ruggedly handsome for the guys that have purchased one) and will be a good conversation piece.

Today I got a text from a friend saying she was dropping off a gift for Kira and I at church. It was from her daughter. I love surprises! I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I retrieved it, I was blown away.

Inside the bag were two beautiful notebooks, pretty flower pens and a note, hand decorated. Inside the envelope were 2 "Frozen" stickers (which I am sure were treasured possessions and will likely go on Kira's guitar case) and $20. 



Enter the widow's mite moment...

See, what I found out later is that when asked by her mommy if she wanted one of Kira's shirts, this sweet little girl asked how much they were. Ran to her piggy bank and retrieved $20 and proceeded to say she didn't need a shirt, she just wanted to give to our trip.

I don't know if you can remember when you were in elementary school or not, but $20 was a LOT of money. And she gave it freely.

Pure.

Generous.

Love.

As I thought about this sweet gift, it made me think about my own generosity. You see, I know that this little girl sees the example set by her parents in their generosity. And they point the way to Jesus every chance they get.


I know that children tend to model what they see their parents doing. Both the good and the bad. So I had to ask myself through tears, what example of generosity have I given my own children?

I have shown them what it looks like to give your time to the work of the Lord. And what it looks like to do that with excellence so we are giving our best to him. I am glad they have seen that from me.

But did they see me giving more than just my time? Was I enough of a visible example of generosity with my money that they picked that up and adopted that as their own now that they are grown? Do they know that we should give out of love for Christ and not out of obligation?

Thankfully it's never to late to be a good example to those around us. And while it is not important to be noticed by others when we give, if we live a life of generosity in all areas - people won't be able to help but notice. Every part of you will ooze it. And it will be contagious.

Today, this precious gift was contagious. So thank you Abigail, for your beautiful example of what it looks like to give like Jesus did. Today I know you made Him smile!

How are YOU doing in this area? If you're at all like me, I bet there is room for growth! Join me in the journey. Won't you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment