rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Eye of the Hurricane



Have you ever felt like you were in a place in your life that you are moving ever forward and over the horizon there is something looming but you are not quite sure what it is? That is where I have been for the last little bit in my life. I walk a steady pace (which really would be considered running to most) and have this feeling... A feeling that I can't quite put in to words that will exactly capture it. Excitement, trepidation, anxiety, wonder, fear. 


I actually saw a picture last week that came out of Hurricane Irene. When I saw this, I was overwhelmed with it's beauty and power, but also the fear that one must feel standing in the face of this powerful storm that just keeps coming and you are powerless to stop. After staring at the photo for quite some time, I realize that this picture encapsulates how I am feeling right now. The same emotions flooding my mind at the worst of moments. The knowledge that there is something big and ominous looming on the horizon that just keeps moving and I am powerless to stop.


I have been pondering this over the last coupe of days. Asking God to give me a clear picture of what this is that will shortly be swirling around me. Alas, I am not hearing a very clear answer. Instead, what I was told by a very wise man is that "I need to learn to stand in the eye of the hurricane." The more I let that comment soak in to my spirit, the more I heard God begin to speak. 


You see, the eye of the hurricane is the only calm spot in the storm. The place that there is no noise, only beauty and peace. I feel him calling me to this place of rest and peace in Him, no matter how much is swirling around me. Calling me to the only place where I will still be able to hear His voice. I know that if He is calling me to that place, He is able to drop me right there in the midst of it and as long as I am faithful to move with it - it is in the eye I will remain.


I believe that God allows us all to have times like these in our lives. Depending on how you look at it - you might say it is your life as a whole. The things of this world swirling about you. Some good, some bad and yet both with such force that they threaten to over take you. Will you join me in the eye of the hurricane? Or are you content to stand in the thick of it where it is so loud you can no longer hear His voice of direction for your life.


So today, with new resolve and perspective I choose to stand in the eye of whatever it is that God has next for me in my life. I will walk with Him as we move forward, holding His hand and hearing His voice. Bring it on!


“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  Psalm 46:10


1 comments:

John C said...

Nice post - but just an FYI - if the picture you saw of Irene was the first one above, that's actually a photo of a large thunderstorm shelf cloud coming into Pensacola Florida about a month ago. It got passed around the internet the day after Irene posing as a photo of Irene, but, alas, it was not. (who starts these things?) (Journalism twitter feeds that I follow blew up about it being not accurate!) Anyway . . . just for the record! (who starts these things on the internet, anyway! *grin*)

Post a Comment