rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Numbered Days

I am a blog stalker. I enjoy following people's lives by reading what they write about their experiences. I guess it's like being able to get in to a whole bunch of reality TV shows without being glued to the TV. So, right now, I am following the blogs of several godly people who are dealing with cancer. One a close friend of mine (and her husband) who has just been declared in remission from lymphoma and two, that I don't know but feel like I do, that have various types of brain cancer, one a sweet 6 year old girl and the other a prominent pastor. Here are links if you would like to follow them as well (Milton & Karen Carroll, Kate McRae, and Matt Chandler)

The thing that is striking to me in all of these situations is how much these people cling to God during this trial in their lives. It seems to being a new closeness that is not there (or not as up front) when life is "normal." They cling to Him. They find that He is truly the only thing in life that is sure.

So this morning as I was reading the blogs, Matt said something that struck me. He talked about how some of the people he knows who have dealt with cancer and been healed sometimes wish they could regain that closeness and dependency on God they felt in the height of their need. He said as people regain their health and their self-sufficiency they tend to lose a little (or maybe a lot) of that.

Psalm 90:12 says "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."

In reality, we are no different from any of the people who have touched the lives of so many by sharing their trials. Our days are numbered by the Lord, just the same as theirs are. They just have a diagnosis that brings it to the forefront. So why don't we live like they do, in total reliance and dependence on the Lord, drawing close to Him as our only strength to make it through each day?

I so need to remember each and every day that I am not promised tomorrow. My days are numbered. I need to be fully living my life for Him and not wasting one moment. So today I am asking what plans He has for me and tomorrow I want to do the same. I pray that God will use me up for His plans and purposes today. I want to make today "count"!

So today, ask Him to show you what He needs you to do today. Your days are numbered too. Don't waste a single moment.

4 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

Not all cancer patients draw nearer to God. Some rebel in fear, anger, despair, or bitterness only to be battered by their struggles. Sometimes their families or friends do. What a blessing to follow the journey of those who choose to rest in the Lord.

czstout said...

Jan, i must admit I'm a blog stalker as well :) I love reading your insights so early in the morning! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

good stuff J-Touch.

daveu71 said...

that was me, David U.

Post a Comment